"Mama's Sick" Soup

This has become my go-to recipe when I'm sick and really feel like I need something nutritious.  It's so simple it's barely a recipe.  My husband has gotten good at cooking basics, like browning hamburger, but he still needs a recipe to follow so I decided to go ahead and blog it for the times I am not even well enough to cook.  When I'm really not up to doing much I sub onion and garlic powder so I don't have to chop or press.  And if I'm on my deathbed I can even skip the meat and just go for a veggie soup - very fast and practically makes itself.

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion chopped fine (half is fine if you have a large onion)
4 cloves garlic (or more!) pressed or minced very fine
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
32 oz box beef or chicken broth (I like to make my own chicken stock but it doesn't always work out!)
11.5 oz can of original V8 vegetable juice
24-36 oz frozen mixed vegetables (we like the carrot, peas, corn, and green bean variety)
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Start browning ground beef in soup pot.  Add onion and garlic.  Once beef is browned and onion is at least softened, add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.  Taste test for salt and pepper.  Serve.

If you want a heartier soup, add quick cooking barley to the liquid and add the veggies after they finish.  It won't be gluten free then and it takes a little longer but it's very good!


Comments

Popular Posts