Pizza Bubble Up (with Rhodes Dinner Rolls)

I've been curious about "Bubble Up" bakes that I have been seeing online.  The only problem is my prejudice against canned biscuits.  I just don't love them.  I'm not against convenience though so after my friend Sarah wondered if we could use Rhodes Dinner Rolls (the frozen kind) instead I did some googling.  Low and behold, Rhodes had a recipe for a Pepperoni Pizza Bubble Up that sounded great!  It requires a bit more thought ahead of time for the rolls to thaw and rise but it's all hands off time so it's still very convenient.
I made it the first time exactly as it was written (weird for me) and the whole family loved it.  In fact, we loved it so much that I made it again 4 days later, but this time changing a few things out to make it a little more hearty and tweaked for our tastes.  The original only calls for 10 rolls but I decided to try 12 to make it go a little farther.  It's a VERY forgiving recipes so you can pretty much swap in anything you family loves for pizza topping and it will be amazing!  I'm planning to try an enchilada bubble up soon - I will keep you posted.

PS - The leftovers are really good.  I had some for breakfast!  Haha!

Ingredients:
12 Rhodes Dough Dinner Rolls (frozen)
1 cup of pizza sauce (I think spaghetti sauce would work well too)
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
Turkey pepperoni (20-25 slices)

Remove rolls from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for about an hour, but do not allow to rise.  We keep the house pretty cool unless it is summer so in my kitchen it takes about 90 minutes.

Pour 1 cup of pizza sauce into a medium to large bowl.  Cut each roll into 8 pieces (it helps to squish them down a little) and place into pizza sauce.  I like to stir after each roll to make sure the pieces are coated and don't stick together.  Once you have them all stirred together dump them evenly into a well greased 9x13 pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.

During the 30 minutes of rise time, brown the ground beef.  You can add garlic and seasonings if you want.  If you want some cooked veggies just throw them in and cook them along with the beef.  I kept it simple with a little garlic and salt.  Drain your beef if needed.  During this time you should go ahead and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

After the 30 minute rise (they won't rise a ton so don't worry!) spread the ground beef on top of rolls.  Sprinkle on grated Parmesan.  Top with 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella.  Layer on sliced pepperoni, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.

Bake in preheated over for 20-25 minutes.  Definitely check at 20 though in case your oven runs hot.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then cut into slices!


Comments

Popular Posts